What is a Weihnachtsmärkte? Weihnachtsmärkte meaning “Christmas Markets” are beautiful Christmas-themed markets that spring up ALL over Germany and all over the world, but since I am currently residing in Germany this wish list is for here. Last year was a bit of a bust checking out Christmas markets in Germany. Though yes, I did go to a very select few but this year I want to visit more… obviously. To give an idea of WHY last year was such a “bust” I only went to FOUR … that’s IT. Just 4 markets. Don’t get me wrong they were amazing! Well most of them were.
My favorite Christmas was St. Wendel. It is TWO Christmas markets in 1. 2 for 1. Can’t beat that. There is TONS to do for your little ones including a mini sled hill! There is also a medieval market that features a LIVE Nativity scene. My second favorite is in Heidelberg. It is a rather large and spread out market, but very beautifully decorated AND you can not miss Schloss Heidelberg! Be sure to climb up and see the town all lit up! Saarbruecken, & Kaiserslautern (MULTIPLE TIMES) were smaller Christmas markets which were nice for a quick Christmas market experience, but now I am ready for this season.
My Wish List:
- Dresden; Why not go to one of Germany’s oldest Christmas markets!? AND see the World’s Largest nutcracker!
- Rothenberg ob der Tauber: EVERYONE recommends this Christmas market… so why not?
- Nuremburg is of course on my list since it is “World Famous”
- Cologne (Koln): Although we have visited Koln, we have not been to the Christmas market! I would LOVE to see the cathedral lite up. I am pretty sure my daughter will think it is Elsa’s castle.
- Berlin: I have always wanted to visit Berlin. So why not hit 2 birds with 1 stone?
I am sure I will be checking out other Christmas markets, but these 5 are on my wish list. I am also going to be checking out the Christmas market in London at the end of this month AND I am sure I will be checking out the markets in Strasbourg & Metz, France.
Happy Christmas Market hopping!
Check out Christmas Markets that are opening THIS weekend!